Certified Teachers Program
How to Apply
To apply to the Teacher Certification Program, please send the following information:
- Letter of application which states why you want to become certified.
- Minimum of three years experience teaching basic quiltmaking; to include:
- Fabric decisions - content, color, care.
- Tools of the trade and quilting definitions.
- Accurate cutting, piecing and pressing.
- Piecing — hand or machine.
- Quilting — hand or machine.
- Appliqué — hand or machine.
- Sashings, borders, preparing quilt sandwich.
- Bindings, labels, hanging sleeves.
- Honey Bee block
- The block can be any size; choice of fabrics is up to the candidate.
- Piecing and appliqué can be done by hand or machine.
- Block should not be quilted.
- Teaching Resumé
- Personal Information: Name, address, telephone, 9-digit zip code, e-mail/fax, NQA membership number.
- Describe the basic quilt making course you presently teach. Include: Where you teach, for whom, how many students, how many sessions, length of sessions, and how many times you have taught this course. If applicable, include information on any special class characteristics. Example: children's classes, college credit.
- Additional quilt making courses taught. List any additional quilt making course you teach beyond the basics. Include the skill level you expect of students.
- Other involvement in the field of quilt making. Describe any additional involvement or interest in the field of quilt making. Example: shop owner, collecting, research, judging, etc.
- Quilting Affiliations. What local, regional and/or national organizations do you belong to? Indicate offices, chairmanships and/or committee positions held.
- Education. Summarize any significant education or learning experiences in the past two years that have contributed to your skill as a quilter and a quilt instructor. Example: workshops, conventions, shows, etc.
- Recognition. List any recognition your work has received in the past five years. Example: local publicity, invitational exhibits, awards, etc.
- Honey Bee block
Both the Honeybee Block and resumé will be evaluated separately by current Certified Teachers. Upon acceptance of both, candidate will be accepted into the Certified Teacher Program.
- Check for $100 and your preference for receiving "Teaching Basic Quiltmaking" — either looseleaf notebook or CD.
Send your completed application packet to:
National Quilting Association, Inc.
ATTN: Certified Teacher's Program
PO Box 12190
Columbus, OH 43212-0190
What Comes Next?
The process of becoming a Certified Teacher will be a learning experience, encouraging you to examine your techniques, methods, and class organization.
Once you are awarded certification, you will receive a certificate, a wallet card and a Certified Teacher's pin. Your name will be included on the list of Certified Teachers posted on this website, and will be provided to interested parties who request a list.
You will be entitled to use the initials NQACT professionally, and to use your status as a Certified Teacher as proof of your competence.
You will be asked to file an update of your teaching activities with the NQACT Coordinator once every 3 years.
Not An NQA Member?
If you are not already a member of the National Quilting Association, Inc., you may join securely online through our online store, or you may download a form and mail it with a check to the address above.